Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Perception

A few times throughout my life I have altered my mind by carefully choosing what to perceive. When I was 20 I decided watching television was harmful to my well being. I believed that by choosing to watch television I was ignoring my own life and destiny. Perceiving a few odd individuals do odd things on an impersonal viewing screen was not only a waste of precious time but a risky invasion into my mind of things with unknown intent. Reading Emerson one day, it occurred to me that watching television was destroying the integrity of my life. The belief and decision was so strong that it has been 24 years since I have watched anything other than an occasional sports game.

At that time I also decided reading magazines and newspapers was just as dangerous. The authors of the articles were paid to write on a daily or weekly basis, thus if they had nothing of value to write they still had to create something in order to collect a paycheck. The intent of the authors was also unknown. I concluded that the editors and owners of the newspapers were not interested in enlightening me, but rather, controlling my perceptions. The advertisements which littered the pages were attempting to alter my direction in ways which would not have been wise to follow.

I was also disturbed that what I was viewing and reading was being viewed by countless other beings, all at the same time. If I believed that the intent of the publisher/producer was to enlighten the viewers and readers, I may not have objected to mass perception. But the intent was unknown, my intuition believing it was a well oiled propaganda machine.

Cutting out these sources of perception I could feel my mind easing into a different place, one which appeared authentic and real. The things I read were written at least 50 years prior, the things I watched were directly before me.

When the internet was discovered and perfected I decided to allow myself to read AP stories which interested me. It somehow felt different from reading a newspaper. The advertisements could be blocked and it was easy to find articles/essays which were broad topically and geographically. I currently watch sports and read political/crime/sports articles.

Since recently deciding to pursue a spiritual quest I have been observing my daily habits and occupations. I feel that reading internet articles and watching sports is a hindrance to the peace and well being of my mind. I therefore will attempt to cut these things away from my perceptions. My mind has fallen into the addiction of perpetual entertainment. If I am successful in breaking the addiction I will have a chance to make progress in the quest. Until then my mind will revolve around things which are negative and meaningless.