Monday, August 15, 2011

Blue Jay

Joseph was supposed to call me over the weekend to set up a time for Sunday, but never did, so the Peach Jam has yet to happen. I had a great weekend of practice, however, and I studied the three songs in more depth. I had three sessions on Sunday, the last one where I sit with the guitar and get creative, seeing what, if anything, happens.

All of the improvising to songs has made my fingers stronger and more relaxed, and this led to a great creative session, I was doing things which surprised me, creating rhythms and melodies that would not be possible without the newly acquired finger skills. I was also able to flesh out a newly created song using my new knowledge of finding chords within the key pattern. Prior to this I could hear the song in my head, but had no idea where to find the chords or notes to finish it off, but last night I was able to add in the extra parts which made the song fuller and richer.

The progress right now is flowing and this leads to an excitement for practicing longer hours with more concentration. Now that I have the basic building stones in place, things are unfolding with more rapidity and ease. I have my mind set on learning the many chords contained within each key, which will allow me to expand the rhythms during improvisation and also aid in song creation.

I came across a blues singer named Screamin' Jay Hawkins while researching the song I Put a Spell on You, and was inspired by his original style and vocal ability. He reminds me of Bukowski.