Saturday, November 3, 2012

The Arrow of Time

"Time flies faster than an arrow; life is more transient than the dew. No matter how skillful you may be, it is impossible to bring back even a single day of the past. To have lived to be a hundred years old to no purpose is to eat the bitter fruit of time, to become a pitiable bag of bones. Even though you have allowed yourself to be a slave to your senses for a hundred years, if you give yourself over to Buddhist training for even one day, you will gain a hundred years of life in this world as well as in the next."
Dogen






Walked to Mike's a few days ago, set up the gear, and got to jamming. He let me borrow one of his distortion pedals, which gives a bluesing sustain. After a few minutes of feeding off of each other's sound, Mike asked for a suggestion on what to stream through the amp, and I offered up the tasty Clapton/Allman 6 song jam album. After jamming to songs 1-4, we played along to a few miscellaneous beats and ended the day. Definitely worth $50 due to being in the presence of a master guitarist and absorbing the action. I believe this absorption is just as, or more important than, listening to him talk about theory. I was pleased with my playing, my concentration and composure were at a high level and I had no troubles with losing the distinction between master/student.

Next week I will be walking to a music space on 6th st to jam with Bob. He was disappointed that I could not jam with him the day after I had my jam with Mike, but my energy and motivation was low so I decided to wait a week, letting the excitement build and continuing to practice along the way.

Meditating every day, I am slowly breathing my way to a nice place inside my head. I close out the night reclining in bed reading Zen books.