Thursday, July 22, 2010

At the Track

I rarely do running at the track, but yesterday I was planning to do hard 200m repeats and decided that I would go to the 2nd Wind track workout to test myself with a full 3 miles of hard running. I have attended only 1 track workout this year, about 3 months ago.

When I arrived at the track a light rain was cooling things off, but the sky cleared before we started. The group was doing 12 x 4oom with staggered starts, the slower runners beginning before the faster ones, so that everyone would be racing to the finish at the same time. I did 8 x 400m on Saturday on dirt roads, 12 sounded a lot tougher.

I did not use a watch, but someone was calling out times on a few of the laps, and I was averaging 85's, which is better than I expected. I managed to finish all 12, well, 11.5. On the final 400 I decided to go all out from the first step to see how long I could last. I had to stop at the 200m mark due to exhaustion. I didn't mind coming up short, I knew before I started the lap that there was no way I could sprint 400m, but it was good to push myself to the limit.

Not much to write about guitar playing. I am practicing 4-5 times a week, mainly playing along to old blues songs. I am working hard on soloing with the pentatonic scale. I have been getting better with the basic techniques - hammer/pull, vibrato, sliding, bending, mini bars. I am at the point of my practice where it is going to take 2-3 years of constant playing to get past the beginner's level of blues guitar.