Sunday, July 11, 2010

Devils Lake, II

I returned to Baraboo, WI, for a rematch with the Devil's Lake 50k. Here are a few memorable moments from the 2010 race :
  • Passed a runner at mile 7 who looked like Bruce Dern in the film "On the Edge". I did a double look and said "you look like Bruce Dern", he replied, "At another ultra I was told I looked like Chris Christofferson".
  • Bruce and I kept bumping into each other on the trail. When we were running along the shore of Devil's Lake he told me, "I'm gonna look for a place to jump in". He slowed down and I lost sight of him, but upon seeing me at the next aid station, he says "The lake was fantastic!".
  • Bruce told me that during the initial 5 miles, run on ski hills, he fell face first on the Black Diamond (long, steep down hill), causing the left lens of his eyeglasses to fall off the frame. He did not notice the lens was missing until a mile later, when his vision became blurry.
  • After telling me the story of the fall, I looked closely at Bruce's face and saw a bloody gash above his left eye, and some scrapes on his shoulders.
  • Bruce and I finished within 1 minute of each other.
  • Bruce finished as top master (0ver 60, and he still possessed the good looks of Bruce Dern).
  • Every runner I saw carried a water bottle.
  • I did not carry anything, hoping to get by on aid station water and grub. It worked.
  • I banged my left forefoot on a sharp rock early in the race. A few miles later it turned into a hot spot, but I was lucky that a blister never formed.
  • Both knees worked fine for the entire race, no pain!
  • I ran most hills, but walked the bluffs because they were steeper than the two hills I train on.
  • Coming down the 2nd bluff I heard a loud locust, but the runner ahead of me declared "Rattlesnake!" We stopped instantly and proceeeded with care. I looked but did not see the snake in the tall grass next to the trail, and got away from there in a hurry.
  • I ran a consistent pace throughout the race, never going too fast or too slow.
  • I got lost once, but recovered within 1/4 mile.
  • I saw a young man at mile 10, he was running his first 50 miler. He told me "I trained by running a few 20 milers. I figured that if I can run 20, I can run 40, and the last 10 I can gut out." He was breathing heavy, as if he was running a 10k. I wanted to tell him that he should be breathing easier at this early stage of the race, but I held my tongue. I gave him a 5% chance of finishing (It was getting hotter, he would have to cover the bluffs 4 times instead of twice, and 50 milers can decide to drop down to 50k at the half way aid station), and if he did finish, a 95% chance of death marching the final 15 miles.
  • I was looking forward to drinking the lemonade that I stashed in my drop bag at mile 17/19. I shared some with a woman who ran the 1.5 mile hill with me leading to the aid station. She loved it.
  • I did not pee once during the race.
  • I crossed the finish line in 6:09 (chip time 6:08). My time from 2009 was 6:22.
  • Was a bit nauseous from the heat after the race, but felt better after showering and eating a meal of pancakes and hash browns with a tall glass of chocolate milk.
  • Before bed I ate 8 pieces of cheese pizza and drank lemonade.
  • I got up 3 times during the night to drink water.