Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Musings on 100 - Part XV

My mother called today to say that the doctors working with my sister believe her cancer to be at a stage which is curable, and that the surgery should not be as difficult because of this. If this remains the case then I will not need to attend the surgery, and this allows me to participate in the Hallucination 100. There is still a chance that the cancer will be serious, so I may need to be at the surgery, but it now seems unlikely. That is happy news for my sister.

Yesterday I decided to time a walking mile, so I went to the track at dusk and walked 4 laps in 15:48. I was pleased with this because I predicted my walking rate being close to 20 minutes per mile. If I were to walk 100 miles at that pace, and add in 90 minutes for aid station breaks and an increased rate due to hilly and rough terrain, I would finish in 27:50. It strikes me as ridiculous that people who "run" 100 miles in over 28 hours are actually walking the entire distance. Since everyone begins a race by running, there must be a segment where the 28 hour finishers are sleeping on the side of the trail.

If I am fortunate enough to finish, I will find out just where those extra hours come from because I doubt I can finish in under 27:30.

Earlier in the day I hiked at Kickapoo with Rachel and I noticed that my walking pace was twice as fast as hers. When we hiked the steep hills I was ascending with little effort. All of the hill walking the past 2 months have paid off, as my hiking strength is better than it has been in a while.

After the timed mile at the track my body was craving more distance, which was good because I wanted to test my new headlamp. When I got to the arboretum hill it was dark and I switched on the light and it was as bright as a car lamp. It was much brighter than Rachel's bike light, so I was glad to have invested $30 for it. Walking up and down the hill with the bright light was fun, but I felt uneasy because if anyone was lurking in the shadows they would know where I was at all times. So I now know I am afflicted with a bit of night fright, but I hope having a lot of runners on the course will help me feel at ease during the night portion of the race.

Today I did all out hill sprints at the arboretum, I only did 8 reps, then 2 x 200m all out sprints in the flat grass - short and sweet taper workout.

As the race approaches the intensity of my focus and concentration is reaching a high pitch. Although never having been in the military, I imagine a soldier awaiting a momentous battle offensive experiencing something similar - the arduous tasks which await, the enemy fire which will assault his senses, and the preparation for possible death. While my task does not include an enemy shooting bullets and bombs, it is similar to a courier whose job is to cover 100 miles in the shortest possible time to deliver an important message.

D minus 9 to race day.