Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Musings on 100, Part XVII

Just a few days until I toe the line of my first attempt at running/walking 100 miles. I have no apparent injuries, my legs are fresh, and my mind is focused on the task at hand.

The race start/finish is at Hell Creek Ranch, a private campground with a pool, showers, and access to trails and lakes. Because of the amenities the charge for setting up a tent is almost as much as staying a night in a hotel. Considering that hundreds of people will be at the campground, to use the shower will most likely include a long wait in line. Even so, it would be convenient to have a tent set up so that when my race is over I can immediately crash in my sleeping bag. Since I would be using the tent on Saturday night only I do not want to pay for two nights of camping, but I can't see myself setting up a tent in the dark after running 100 miles. I emailed the race director and asked if I could get a discount for Friday since I will set up the tent a few hours before the race (4:00pm Friday), and won't see it again until late Saturday. The director replied that I was the first person to ask this, but he did not mind me putting the tent up on Friday and paying for Saturday only. Since there is a chance he may forget this gesture of generosity, I will bring my tent along and if they decide to charge me for Friday/Saturday, I will forgo the tent and find a hotel to sleep in after the race.

Yesterday I walked barefoot up and down the hill at the arboretum for an hour. I am lessening my training and won't do any more running until the race. I was contemplating a final short workout of intervals today but I don't want to risk injury and it is more important to have fresh rather than sharp legs, so I will instead take it easy and rest.

I currently have a good balance of confidence and trepidation. I am prepared to face the pain and struggle. I did not cut corners in my training so I have given myself the opportunity to run to my potential. However, my potential may not be enough, and if this is so I will need to find the strength and luck from another source - spirit, soul, will - whatever it is called, coming into contact with it is the reason I am interested in running 100 miles.