Monday, March 28, 2011

Drum and Bass

Evening Walk I


Last Tuesday I went to therapy session IV and afterward rode my bicycle home, got my guitar and a 6 pack, and walked to Joseph's house. When I arrived I saw Joseph and Mike unloading gear and we walked into the house together and down the stairs to the music space, a small room with a drum set, amps, and guitars. Joseph and Mike talked for a few minutes and I stood around, and then Joseph said, "well, James, are you ready?" I took my guitar out of its case, plugged in, and stood awkwardly, unsure how to start.

Mike, being an experienced musician, suggested jamming freestyle to House of the Rising Sun. Well, I know the chords to that song so I started strumming out the notes and Mike played lead as Joseph found the beat on his drums. After a few minutes we stopped, drank beer, and then began improvising with power chords.

I was starting to feel somewhat comfortable, but then I got it in my head to try playing the bass guitar which leaned against the wall. Mike encouraged me to do so and within a few minutes I was creating bass notes in line with Joseph's drum rhythm. My mind focused intently on the music being created, and with Mike playing lead the music began flowing with a creative ease. After an hour of bass Mike wanted me to try playing his high quality guitar, so we switched and I did alright, playing some blues riffs and improvising with other styles.

After 2 hours we stopped and I packed up and walked home. I found the experience to be inspiring and illuminating. Making music with others is not as hard as I thought it would be. I also realize I have a natural sense of rhythm - even though I can't count music in my head I have a sense of time which fits with what is being played. It is similar to how I process language because I don't know the mechanics of language, such as nouns/verbs/adverbs, but simply follow a sense of innate timing which chooses the flow of the words.

This week I have been practicing harder than ever, inspired to improve in all aspects of my play so that I can better express myself the next time I jam with a group. I surprised myself by doing better than expected at Joseph's, but I have a strong desire to play the music which I know is inside of me, and this will require a tremendous amount of work/practice before it is allowed to surface - Rock on!