Sunday, October 7, 2012

Chanting the Way - Dedication and Discipline, Round 2

"The thought of this completely thrilled him. It was like discovering a cancer cure. No more explanations of what art is. No more wonderful critical schools of experts to determine rationally where each composer had succeeded or failed. All of them, every last one of those know-it-alls, would finally have to shut up. This was no longer just an interesting idea. This was a dream."
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance



The Way Home, II


It appears I have returned to the monkish dedication which I began when I was in my early 20's. The changes which meditation brought were startling and mystical, and the cumulative experience I still carry inside my heart. I believe now is the proper time to return to my meditation studies, and so I have been practicing in my studio, at the Garfield Street Zendo, and today, at the 40th Street Buddhist Institute. I set a walking route for the 2.5 miles, and enjoyed yet another sunny and warm day in Eugene as I sauntered through town.  Earlier in the day I stopped in at the Zendo and partook in the Sunday meditation, which is at the pleasant hour of 9:30am. At 1:00 I began my walk to the Institute and when I arrived I was greeted by one of the practitioners.  He explained what they would be doing from 2:00-4:00, and I was unsure if I should stay or leave. The Institute is home for Tibetan style Buddhism, and this involves a lot of chanting. When the practitioner told me I could sit and breathe and not be expected to chant, I decided to stay, with the idea that I would use the chanting as a meditative music. I took my seat inside the beautiful hall along with a small group of six or seven. I was given two notebooks of chants and prayers as I settled into a western style chair, knowing I could not handle sitting cross-legged for 2 hours. The time went by quickly, and I found myself humming and even chanting a bit, finding it to be relaxing and unforced. After the service ended I was getting ready to leave when the practitioner said that participants are welcome to stay for a meal. Seeing that the group was small, I decided it would be rude to refuse, so took my seat at a table and listened to interesting conversation. There was a bottle of wine served, but I took fruit juice instead. The topics of discussion ranged from politics, conspiracy theories, to radiant heat flooring (which my apartment has). The thing which struck me throughout was that a few of the people were able to flow into normal conversation immediately following an intense 2 hours of meditation. It was as if the meditation had not affected them in the least. I was feeling relaxed and confident due to a peaceful breathing pattern which had emerged during the time spent sitting, and did not feel the need to speak, yet I was quick to comprehend what was being shared. Later, as I was walking home, I had an insight about my meditation practice - it teaches me how to breathe, or, breathe in a way which is good for my health and well being. For some reason I do not breathe well if I do not practice meditation - maybe it is this peaceful, rhythmic breathing which leads to a good and healthy life.

I hope to attend the 5:00am meditation at the Zendo tomorrow - because I do not use an alarm it will be up to my sleeping mind to get me out of bed.