Friday, October 5, 2012

Reflected

The Way Home

I am settling into my new life in Eugene. I have a few goals which keep me busy morning noon and night. I have begun to meditate at the Eugene Zendo. Wednesday I woke at 4:36am and walked the mile to the Zendo soon after, missing the first session of the 5:00am zazen. Later that afternoon I was wiped out from the early morning rise and fell asleep in the easy chair while reading. I skipped Thursday's  zazen but awoke today at 4:15 and made it in time to do the full 90 minutes. The session ends at 6:30, just as the sun is rising, so the walk home is quite the enchantment. I brought my camera along and made a few pictures - I see better after a long meditation. The morning was cold - ! - I had 4 shirts and a mid range jacket on (which I bought at Goodwill for $7) but my hands were shaky with the camera and my feet went numb. When I got home I took a hot shower and then ate a breakfast of sushi, yogurt, and tea. When I got out of the shower I noticed my reflection in the steamed  mirror and was inspired to make a photograph - not everyday I make a picture of myself, and more rare when I do it without clothing on!


I have been spending my afternoons walking, running, and exercising. This week my energy  hit a low point, I almost feel like I did a few years ago when lack of energy made me too lethargic to want to do anything. I stopped taking B12 when I got to Thailand, so maybe my body has run out of it again - time to get to the vitamin store to buy B12.

In the evenings I read and play guitar. I have made more progress, the speed work with the metronome is making my fingers and sense of timing stronger and more accurate. I was jamming last night and created a speed riff which was faster and cleaner than anything I have done. It is ridiculous how much progress I am making, as I don't really deserve it because I practice only 1-2 hours a night, and sometimes not at all. Oh well, I won't complain about my good luck!