Saturday, November 5, 2011

Changing Strings

I broke the B string on my guitar a couple of days ago. When I felt the urge to jam today I remembered the missing string and decided it was time to replace all of the strings. I placed the guitar on the kitchen table, and began my first attempt at it. I thought back to my days as a photographer, spending hours in the public darkroom in Chicago learning how to dry mount pictures, how I wanted to leave no stone unturned in all aspects of photography. The mundane task of changing strings on a guitar is something that will further my skill in the craft of guitar playing, and also save me some cash.

I got the strings tied on well enough, but got a bit confused when they would not stay in tune. I figured out that I needed to tune down and stretch each string with my hands, pulling it way up a number of times, then tune it back to pitch. After doing the string stretch three times for each string, they magically stayed in tune.

I decided to try a heavier string gauge. I had been using the lightest gauge, but it seemed a bit wimpy, and also had me hesitant about strongly attacking the strings with aggressive bends. I don't really notice much of a difference with the heavier grade, so next time I change strings I will be going up another notch, just to see what it sounds and feels like.

I am reaching the point in my guitar quest where I am now familiar with the basics, and the comfort level has brought on a high degree of confidence. I can now just do it, play the blues, without even thinking about it. It is like running, walking, thinking, talking - highly complex activities which the brain/body learns exceedingly well on a subconscious level, so that the conscious mind can forget about it all, in a sense, and just focus on the emotions of playing. I still suck, but I have gone far beyond the suck of two years ago. Lately the speed and coordination between both hands has gotten ridiculously intense. I don't even know how I am doing it, I just watch the fingers on the fret board reach a blurring energetic speed, while the pick hand is trying to keep up. Mistakes abound, yet.....I can see that with more practice I am going to reach a level that I did not think possible. I can't wait!!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Having reached a point in the guitar quest where things are now beginning to gel, I am a bit sorry that for a somewhat long period of time I won't have access to my beloved black electric guitar. I have decided to travel long term, making my vocation that of wanderer. I decided to give up my nice apartment and become a homeless vagabond, all of my possessions being what can fit into a back pack. I never thought of myself as being one of those adventurers who gives up everything for the freedom of the road - partially because I never thought I would have the means to do so. It takes a large stash of cash, along with the will and vitality to pull it off. I am currently in possession of those 3 things, so I have decided to try, to see if I can become that which I never thought I could be. I am reminded of something which Elanor Roosevelt once said

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.

Today I showed my apartment to two young ladies, and later in evening they let me know they would like to rent it beginning in January. So in two months I will be moving my belongings into Rachel's basement. I will then stay at her house until January 19th, which is when she will return from her African adventure. I will then board a plane and alight in Bangkok, Thailand. I will soon apply for a travel visa, which will allow me to remain in Thailand for up to 3 months. I will then move on to Malaysia, Indonesia, Laos, and then perhaps Sri Lanka and Nepal.

The series of decisions and events which have recently transpired have occurred in consequence to ideas translated into actions. My first experience of the power of a single idea and choice, was that of becoming a photographer and artist. Once the decision is made, the pieces fall into place. The difficult part is making the decision, without it, one floats through life on the thoughts and ideas of others. While this can be pleasantly numbing, it does not lead to creativity or authentic being.