Monday, January 30, 2012

Letter to Rachel, II











Dear Rachel,

Sitting at the Free Bird Cafe, a beautiful little place with roaming cats (see one of the pics) which like to keep me company. The food is really good, too, I like the red curry soup with brown rice and the yummy fruit smoothie.

I am still not feeling too comfortable, but since it has been only a week I have to say I am doing ok, nothing terrible has happened, and I must admit it is fun to be photographing again, some of the pictures actually seem pretty good. So far I like Chiang Mai, I can walk anywhere, and I found a Tops Supermarket, hallelujah, it was like walking into my beloved Meijer. Upon entering a woman was carving up fresh papaya and said "take some, buy one get one free", so I took two. I will be changing hotels today, I am waiting for check in time as I write this, if I like it I will see about staying a month, the rates are pretty cheap, and it is only a 5 minute walk to Tops. I have been eating some good Pad Thai, cost is under 2 bucks. My day is pretty much wandering about with the camera, napping in the afternoon, editing pictures at night, and writing in cafes. I pretty much stay to myself, just like usual, I think that is how I stay out of trouble, haha.

Yesterday I was photographing on the mote as the sun was rising and a monk came up to me and said something which I did not understand, then opened his alms bowl, I looked inside and recognized nothing. I had no food to give so I threw in a few Baht, then the monk bowed and chanted a prayer. Later in the day I wandered into a couple wots, they are fantastic, lots of interesting temple buildings and old trees, and a peace which makes me feel at ease. I plan to go to one which has Dharma talks for the public.

Glad you are doing good, and happy to know Florence has taken to my training ;)

Here are some more pics, sorry if I send repeats, not sure which ones I sent to you already. Feel free to forward them to your dad. Still need to get his letter posted....