Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Sunburnt Whales

I can't recall a stranger November. I was getting into cold weather mode, enjoying long sleeved shirts and faded jeans, scarf wrapped around my neck, but the string of days this week have been sunny with temps in the 70's.

Rachel and I went to Kickapoo this afternoon and I ran the bike trail loop which I discovered on my 7 hour long run this summer. Rachel hiked and expected me to meet her in 1 hour and 45 minutes. I calculated that I could make that time since I estimated the total distance to be 10 miles. When I showed up 2 hours and 25 minutes later, Rachel none too happy, I guessed that the loop was 12 tough miles of twisting hills.

Last week I decided to purchase a blues instructional course made by Jamie Andreas. I have been practicing the exercises in her Guitar Principles book and I decided I was ready to move forward. During the month of October my progress had been faster than anticipated, so my music confidence is higher than normal. I believe I have a shot at becoming a decent blues guitarist, but I still have my doubts. I sometimes wonder if my small hands will hinder me, but lately I have begun to think otherwise, what they lack for in size they make up for in quickness, agility, and strength.

I was willing to pay $60 for the course, and when I scraped together enough money I logged into the GP site and found that the price had been lowered that day to $35, a 3 day Halloween special - some days my timing is peculiarly lucky.

I began reading and practicing the course a few days ago and am happy with the writing style, clear organization of the material, attention to micro details, and the videos which illustrate the proper techniques. There are 6 blues solos to work on in the course and I have begun working on solo #1. I already have the notes memorized and am practicing the timing, bends, and vibrato.

My current focus is on proper vibrato and bending techniques. I find the correct vibrato wrist motion to be a bit puzzling, but with a lot of practice I am confident I will become good at it. Bending does not seem as difficult, but creating the proper sounds are elusive.

I am guessing that it will take 1 year to finish the course. At that time I am hoping to possess an average ability to play blues solos.