Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Preparation, Contemplation, Simplification

With my marriage soon coming to an end I have been preparing for a new life - different home, living alone, thinking of myself as not being intimately connected to a person.

Emotionally I have been doing better than expected and I thank my daily meditation practice for that. My mind has also been lucid and calm, maybe because I know that I will be staying in contact with Rachel. Rachel and I plan to see each other once I leave and I will be pet sitting when she takes her trip to Puerto Rico in March.

Severing a 15 year marriage and moving forward is not easy because of the vivid and long memories which sometimes surface in my mind. But thinking of the future there is the freedom of living alone, control of finances, and the sheer solitude which can bring creative desire.

I am spending 60-90 minutes a day packing things for moving or storage. I am going to attempt to simplify my life - I will bring a few books, 2 boxes of pictures, a few framed photographs, 3 guitars and an amp, some furniture. I was planning to not own a computer but Rachel said she will pay for half, so I may buy a laptop and use the free wifi around town when I need to use the internet. I will do without a land phone, no television/cable, and will try to get by without a cell phone. I have never owned a cell phone and wonder what it is like to not have any phone whatsoever. My family won't like the idea and maybe there are things which make owning one a necessity, but I can't think of any at the moment.