Friday, February 10, 2012

Running Up a Mountain II















Yesterday I decided to further explore the mountain, so after running 2 miles west on Huai Kaeo Rd I began the mountain ascent, this time stopping at the small village where people gather to give alms to the monks. After passing a few shops, food stalls, and a hotel, I found myself at a pleasant waterfall. Not being able to go any further, I retreated back to the main road and decided to go beyond the wot steps from the last run. When I passed the steps I saw a dog lifting its leg for relief, then it started running ahead of me for 100m. When it turned into an off drive it waited for me to pass then it began to bark - I guess he did not like being followed!

I ran close to a mile then began to fear I would get too tired for the descent if I continued, so I turned around and made it quickly back to the zoo. As I walked to The Dome it occurred to me that before leaving Chiang Mai I should try to run up the mountain to the famous Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep. The normal way to get there is to ride a scooter or to hop a Red Truck for 40 baht each way. When I got back to my room I did some research and discovered that there is a foot race that goes up the mountain to the wat, but unfortunately it was last week! The race starts near the waterfall, and it is 10.25k up the mountain to the wat. I would be starting my run from The Dome, so I need to add an extra 2.5 miles - that will be a tough challenge! By the beginning of April I should be ready for an attempt, and it will keep me motivated to slowly improve my fitness and not slack off.

Today I walked to Chiang Mai University to see if I could find the track, but when I arrived I discovered that it is under construction. I did find a large field near the university entrance, it will be a good place to run loops - a soft grass surface and no interference from street intersections. I will plan to run that tomorrow, giving the mountain a break for now. On the way back home I decided to ride in a Red Truck. My first ride in one a few days ago ended with me being charged double the price because I forgot to negotiate before I got into the truck, allowing the driver to set the rate. Today I asked the fare before getting on and it was the normal 20 baht price.

This week my fitness has improved not only in running, but I was able to extend my afternoon walks by 2-3 miles (total walk being 3-4 hours). I can now cover more of the city in the afternoon heat without much trouble. I walked to the Ping River yesterday (after the mountain run) and explored the markets on the bank - flowers, fabrics, art, food, and lots of people looking for bargains.