Monday, March 5, 2012

Smoke and Nausea









I can't recall the exact date when I began restricting my meals to before the noon hour, but thus far there have been two days where I needed a small meal in the evening due to a caloric deficit caused by extended exercise. I recently walked to the Wat Saun Dok cafe and wore my jeans t0 protect my legs from mosquito's, and I had to use the final notch on the belt to hold them up, so the fat is slowly evaporating.

Two days ago I ran 71 minutes at the fitness park, doing loops around the grounds. I was running easy most of the run, but the final 15 minutes I pushed until exhaustion. This was the longest run so far, I am beginning to feel fit. During the run I saw 4 large, beautiful birds with a white crest.

When I got home I stood on the balcony and saw plumes of black smoke swirling into the hot, sticky sky. The next morning I walked to the fitness park and on the way saw a burned out building which previously had been standing, now it was a pile of ash and rubble.

I was supposed to run today but my legs feel fatigued from the last workout so I stayed inside and relaxed. Reading through Nausea, I happen upon passages that I find to be not only beautifully poetic, but the content aligns peculiarly with my own orbit of present experience :

-- "it must be such an upheaval. If I were ever to go on a trip, I think I should make written notes of the slightest traits of my character before leaving, so that when I returned I would be able to compare what I was and what I had become."

-- "When I've finished my instruction I shall join, if I am permitted, the group of students and professors who take an annual cruise to the Near East. I should like to make some new acquaintances. To speak frankly, I would also like something unexpected to happen to me, something new, adventures."

He has lowered his voice and his face has taken on a roguish look.

"What sort of adventures?" I ask him, astonished.

"All sorts, Monsieur. Getting on the wrong train. Stopping in an unknown city. Losing your briefcase, being arrested by mistake, spending the night in prison. Monsieur, I believed the word adventure could be defined : an event out of the ordinary without being necessarily extraordinary. "

-- "I put out the Self-Taught Man after filling his pockets with post cards, prints and photos. He left enchanted and I switched off the light. I am alone now. Not quite alone. Hovering in front of me is still this idea. It has rolled itself into a ball, it stays there like a large cat; it explains nothing, it does not move, and contents itself with saying no. No, I haven't had any adventures."