Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Bends

At yesterday's lesson Robert taught me a blues riff which included a string bend on the 7th fret of the G string, which then led to a finger barre of the B/E strings on the 5th fret (part of the A pentatonic scale). As I practiced it he began to play a nice sounding blues rhythm, and I took control of the lead guitar. The experience of playing the blues with Robert had a dreamlike quality, as I never believed until a few months ago that I would play the blues, or the guitar.

Today I practiced the riff, paying attention to the bending of the G string. After many reps I began to feel more comfortable, and also found a new riff.

I have been practicing Claude's scale system everyday, so the pentatonic is getting burned into my memory, along with the muscle memory needed to play it.