Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Riff

The last few days with the guitar I have been making faster than normal progress. I recently found a couple of good web sites that offer numerous free backing tracks to practice to. My 1 month trial subscription to the scale system expired yesterday, and I decided not to renew because I can play the scales which I have now memorized to the free backing tracks.

With all of the lead practicing I have been doing with backing tracks it is easy to bypass the observation that hitting and changing chords is becoming faster/easier, finger placement on the pentatonic scale more accurate, and my picking hand is gaining in dexterity and coordination. Although I am far from speeding through timely riffs, I feel things are going better than expected.

With this in mind I studied a few videos today of how to play fast blues riffs. I decided to practice one in which the 4 finger (pinkie) hammers and pulls off the blue note, the 3rd finger then pulls off and quickly hits the adjacent top string. The guy in the video kills it, so I have an idea what it should sound like. After 5 minutes practice I memorized the sequence, now I just need to put in a few hours to get the right rhythm and speed.