Thursday, April 29, 2010

Lunch in the Park

The past few days have been cool in the morning and warm in the afternoon. When I get home from work I pack a lunch, a book, my guitar, and ride my bicycle to Crystal Lake park. After getting comfortable on my favorite bench, I practice guitar in a peaceful mood until deciding to eat. When I finish the meal I stretch out and read a few pages about the Buddha and meditation.

Lately I have been thinking about returning to a more serious practice of meditation. I know from experience how my mind positively reacts to sitting still and focusing on the breath. The senses become more acute as the back and forth flow of thought slows to minimal movement. This induces a calm state of being which elicits a peculiar confidence in the chaos of the universe. The mind, still and serene, recognizes that there is at least one place in which the chaos is controlled.

I heard from my college friend Sokrates (David) today. He wrote a one sentence email asking me what was going on. He is a master guitarist and knows of my quest, so I gave him a few details on how my practice is coming along. He responded by challenging me to a tennis duel. I accepted his challenge, even though I am 6 pounds overweight and have knee tendinitis. He asked if there was a good Thai restaurant in Urbana. I replied that Siam Terrace would make the trip worth his while, and in exchange for his company I would buy him lunch and dinner. I am looking forward to seeing a friend from my youth, I have known him for 23 years - odd to think of not only myself, but my friends, as getting old.