Saturday, August 14, 2010

42 at the Howl

At the finish of the Howl at the Moon 8 hour race today I felt a wave of happiness which made me think this was one of the best days of my life. Something about running all day with the sun brings on emotions and images which have a peculiar, positive energy.

I finished with 12 laps, same as last year, but I finished the 12 35 minutes faster today. However, I was forced to wait around the start/finish line for 18 minutes before being allowed to run the final 30 minutes on the grass 1/4 mile out and back. I was able to run 2 1/2 miles during those final 30 minutes, which brought my total mileage t0 41.98, 2 miles more than last year.

Melinda's appearance at the start of my 5th loop helped me through the roughest part of the race. When she left 3 loops later I decided to walk until my heart rate reset. Sometimes it won't back down, but after 1 mile of walking I was able to start running with more confidence, and the race became easier after that.

I ran up the one hill on the course on the first 11 loops, and decided I was too tired to run it on the 12th. Last year the same thing happened.

I lost my appetite after the 5th hour due to the heat, but the lemonade and occasional salted potato gave me enough calories to finish without losing much energy. Melinda's magic honey also helped.

The weather at the start of the race was decent, low 70's with cloud cover. At the half way point the sun popped out, causing the temperature to rise to the mid 90's with high humidity. Battling the heat was my toughest challenge.

I ran the final 2 1/2 miles barefoot (the loop was all grass). I got some funny looks, and 2 people didn't seem too pleased about my choice of foot apparel.

My health was good, I had no leg/knee pain at any point in the race, which gives me confidence that I may have turned a corner with my knee injuries.

I was using this race as an indicator of my fitness, especially toward the idea of running a 100 mile race in the autumn. I passed the test, however, I am uncertain I can withstand the pain and discomfort which will intensify past the 50 mile mark. While I am not completely wiped from today's effort, I can't wrap my head around how bad I will feel during a 100 miler. Don Frichtl summed it up well when I asked him when he last ran a 100 miler. "5 years ago, just enough time for me to forget how painful it was." I will see how my recovery goes, then decide whether to register for a 100 mile race.