Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Musings on 100, Part V

Yesterday I was wondering what type of workout to do. I have been doing speed stuff lately, and it is bringing my fitness to a good level. I planned to do some hard 400's on the arboretum dirt roads, but I felt there was a better workout, but could not remember what it was. Walking to work I realized a medium distance South Farms loop (12 miles) was the workout that I had forgotten about. So I laced up my road shoes after work and ran my best loop of the year. I was able to run faster than normal, yet with a moderate level of exertion - the speed sessions are working.

During the run I felt tension in my right foot near the big toe. I took off my shoe to empty out rocks at the 10 mile mark and discovered that when I bent the big toe I could feel discomfort. When I finished the run I iced the foot off and on for the rest of the day.

While at work today I decided a barefoot walk up and down the arboretum hill would be the perfect workout for my foot. I walked the hill at noon for 75 minutes in high humidity and my foot felt fine, so I am hoping that the discomfort is a quickly passing thing.

Tomorrow's workout will be 150m hard followed by a 50m jog, repeated until exhaustion. I had been doing this at the track, but now that school is back in session I am running it on the arboretum dirt roads.

Friday is a big day, I am driving to Blackwell in Warrenville for a long workout. I will arrive around noon, and plan to run and walk until dusk, with some of the run/walk being up and down Mt. Hoy. I am hoping that by returning to the training ground of my youth the fire in my heart will burn brighter, and the inspiration thus gained will help sustain me during the 100 mile race.