Sunday, August 29, 2010

Musings on 100, Part III

Having written about setting a proper goal in order to achieve a correct state of mind in athletic competition, I need to set down my own specific goals for the upcoming 100 mile race.

This being my first 100 mile attempt, I have no illusions as to finishing. All of the 1st time attempts I have read in race reports are 50/50. For myself, I initially laid odds at 40/60, and even though I am getting fitter and currently running strong, I have revised the odds to 25/75. The reason for this is my weekly mileage is low. Running every other day the miles have no option but to remain on the low side. However, when I include walking, which I do on off days, the total mileage is more encouraging.

The main goal : To try my best to finish. The focus will be on my effort to get to the 100 mile mark. If I stop at mile 25, 50, or 75, I will ask myself when the race ends - "did I try my best to go 100 miles?" If I answer yes, the day will have been a success.