Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Grateful Moon

The past couple of weeks have been strange indeed. Ever since Rachel and I decided to part ways our relationship changed from the monotony of a 15 year marriage to a blissful finale. Rachel said this period seems like a honeymoon, minus the sweetness. I thought for a minute or two and decided it was more like a grateful moon - thinking back on all the vivid memories and shared experiences makes me grateful for the 15 years we spent together. Tonight we went out for Thai food then stopped at the Rosebowl to see Caleb Cook, it was a fun evening.

This month I have been running mostly short and slow, but when I woke up this morning and saw the first snowfall of the season I had the urge to run the South Farms loop. Maybe it was the memories of running 3-4 hours in cold and snow last year that got me excited. I am not sure why I like running in difficult conditions. Two weeks ago there was a string of days in the 50's-60's, but I was content running 20 minutes and walking the rest of the way home. Today it was 25 with a stiff wind and icy roadways and I'm thinking "nice, today is a good day to run a long ways". So after work I hit the South Farms loop and ran 12 miles. The first hour my asthma was thorny, but when I got to the arboretum I felt the lungs go free and I smiled and took off. I had to put a face mask on when I reached the dirt road due to the bitter wind. When I finished the run I felt refreshed and happy - happy because this month Melinda will be visiting and we plan to go for a run together - knowing I can still cover the South Farms gives me confidence that I can keep up with her.