Saturday, March 20, 2010

Before Spring

Yesterday I rode my bicycle to the arboretum. I carried the classical guitar with me, and in my backpack was a tasty lunch. I locked my bike to a tree in a field and walked to the circular garden. The wind was a bit stiff, but the sun kept the temperature above 60 degrees.

I sat on a lonely bench and practiced chords and scales, and played the 2 songs I know. Since there was nobody around I practiced singing into the wind, it was fun. After 45 minutes I ate my lunch and relaxed, then practiced for another 30 minutes. At the end of the session I discovered a few odd note progressions which sounded well when picked with the fingers.

As I was piecing the notes together I felt like I was writing a poem or making a photograph - the sounds reflected my mood and relationship with the surroundings. I began to feel tired after a while so packed it up and walked to my bike.

I walked for a quarter mile with the bike, then decided to sit against a tree and play some more.

In the evening I practiced in my studio, working more on the sketch.

This morning I went back to the sketch, filling in missing parts, and when I was convinced that I did not have the skill to take it any further, I wrote the notes down in a chord box. I wanted to write the sketch in music notation, but I am still in the beginning stages of learning how to read music, so had to resort to the simplistic chord boxes.






Found this on youtube :





My finger tips are sore today...