Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Hotel California and a Punching Bag

Lots of guitar practice today. After work I played chords and scales for an hour, meditated for 20 minutes, then walked to my first lesson With Robert.

Robert lives only 3/4 mile from me, so I had a pleasant walk to his house, the sun was out and it was 60 degrees. When I arrived I saw him retrieving his mail, I said hello and he invited me in. The main room is a music space filled with pictures, guitars hanging on the wall, a couple of amps, and a punching bag hanging just off center of the room. He had 2 chairs for us to sit in, and he let me plug my Strat into one of his amps. He mentioned that my guitar was a good quality model. He showed me how to tune it to his electronic tuner, and we proceeded to talk and play guitar for the next 90 minutes.

The first lesson was free, and was planned for 30 minutes, but we had a good rapport going and we just kept tossing ideas around and having fun. When I got up to leave I told him I had a great time and handed him a check paying for the next 4 lessons. I decided to also pay him for the free lesson because it was such a positive experience.

On the way home I realized how small the guitar world must be in Urbana. When I mentioned a few reasons why I was leaving my current teacher after only 3 lessons, Robert said, "that sounds like Lou". I didn't affirm or deny his guess, because I dislike talking negatively about anyone, but was surprised at his accurate statement.

When I got home I brought my playing chair and classical guitar out to the yard, under the giant fir trees, and played while watching the chickens peck around in the spring grass.

Later in the evening I played for another hour in my studio, learning another song, Hotel California, which Robert had given to me today at our lesson. The chord sequence is a B barre, then an F barre, A, E, G, D, Em, then ending with the B Barre. Strumming it is pretty easy, but I don't know the picking pattern.

After playing Hotel Cal. I practiced House of the Rising Sun some more, this time singing along to my strumming. I have never practiced singing, and was surprised how my voice sounded when hitting notes it had never attempted before - with practice I could make progress.

I also worked on my picking technique. Robert mentioned different ways of holding a pic, and of holding the hand while picking. When I got home I watched a few informative youtube vidoes on picking methods. I learned that there a numerous ways to play, and my way fits in with proper technique. I decided to shorten the length of the exposed pick, as the shorter pick surface supposedly allows for greater control. I don't anchor my hand when I pick, and Robert suggested I may find it easier to play if I do, but some of the videos mentioned that playing without anchoring allows for greater wrist flexibility. I will mention to Robert at next week's lesson my decision to remain with my current style of hand placement over the strings.