Tuesday, March 16, 2010

F

Yesterday evening I practiced for 1 hour - 30 minutes on chord transitions, 30 minutes on a single box scale. My fingers felt good, the coordination and strength increasing.

Tonight another short 1 hour session. When I was practicing transitions I wondered how I could move quicker to the F chord. The weak point is the index finger having to fret 2 strings in the corner by the nut. It is an awkward position, which is what leads to the uneven quality of the finger movement. As I looked at the fingers resting in place I realized that there was no reason to get the index finger exactly on the C and F notes because the D and G strings are already fretted with the 2 & 3 fingers. Maybe it would be easier to barre 3 strings instead of 2 with the index finger? So I tried it, and it worked, it was easier to lay the index finger across the first 3 strings on the first fret. The reason I had not thought of this earlier was because the chord diagrams don't illustrate the chord in this way, rather, the index finger lays across 2 strings, not 3.

Making little discoveries like fingering the F in a way not discussed in books is what this quest is all about - finding my own way, using imagination, without force, to discover the music which is inside of me.

Rachel showed me a picture from Namibia she took when she was in the Peace Corps. I found it to be intriguing so I worked on it in Photoshop.