Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Isaac, Oreo, and My Favorite Place

I started the day in long underwear, 2 jackets, hat and gloves. When I got out of work at 10:45am the sun was out and the air was warming fast.

When I got home I decided to walk to Crystal Lake Park with my guitar, lunch, writing paper, and a book. Before I left I brought the dying hen out into the sunlight, under the large fir trees. I could sense the end was near, as the poor chicken could not keep her eyes open any longer. Soon after I saw her give a shake and fall over. The end had come.

On my walk to the park I imagined the spot I wanted to visit - a bench which is in the corner of a secluded open space in the middle of the park. Behind the bench is the lake, and in front a view of 100 year old oak trees.

Before I arrived at the park I saw a large man with a large dog, and when we passed I asked what kind of dog it was. He said the dog's name was Oreo, and it was a Great Dane/Lab mix. It had the face of a gentle lab, and the body of a giant Dane - amazing!

I should mention that lately I have been getting into a meditation rhythm, and when I get into this type of calming state of mind, odd, though positive, things, frequently happen.

So on my walk to the park I was focusing intently on my breath, and I had achieved a joyful state of mind. The man, whose name was Isaac, must have felt at ease with me, because instead of continuing on his walk, he stopped to talk for a few minutes. As I petted Oreo he told me of his love for the dog, but was sad because Oreo was getting old and having health problems. This led him to say "we all have our time to go, and it won't be long before it is here, even for you and me. People are always getting angry, arguing politics, not getting along, but one should rather be enjoying the little time we have been given." Before Isaac left he extended his hand to me and I grabbed it firmly, my small hand swallowed up by his giant fist.

When I arrived at the park I watched the sunlight mingle with the tree shadows, the day growing warmer. The bench I had planned to sit in was empty, as well as the open space.

I took out the guitar and slowly moved my fingers along the fretboard. Now that I am becoming familiar with the guitar, picking it up and observing how my hands react and relate with it brings pleasure and curiosity. The guitar and I are becoming friends.

As I practiced scales I felt an unusual easiness in the movements, and a heightened state of relaxation in the grip and pressure of the fingers upon the frets. I knew this meant that I am moving in the correct direction, and the relaxation is an effect of familiarity.

I sensed movement nearby and I looked up and saw a beautiful woman and a young boy standing only a few feet from me. I smiled, and at the same time looked with a startled curiosity at their presence.

"This is your favorite place to be, isn't it?" asked the woman. I thought for a few moments, and realized that it had been a long while since I had sat on this particular bench, but instead of saying that, I replied, "Sometimes it is."

"This is my favorite place also", she told me. I noticed a book in her hand, and I sensed that she had intended to sit here herself, so I said, "please sit here, I have many favorite places in this park, I can walk into the woods and sit there."

She pondered my response, considering if she should accept my offer, but finally decided against it. "No, I just wanted to tell you that this was my favorite place, too."

She then began to walk away, slowly, reluctantly. I sat back with the guitar, breathed deeply, and smiled.