Thursday, March 25, 2010

Robert, Marty, and Dennis

Had my 2nd lesson with Robert yesterday afternoon. I was a little disappointed in it because 30 minutes does not allow enough time to cover everything from the previous lesson, and then new material. Robert is a cool guy, though, and just hanging around him helps me pick up on things to become a better guitarist. He was talking above my head when discussing 7th chords, but I try my best to comprehend what he is teaching.

Robert wants me to learn the same simple blues shuffle that Lou had already taught me, but because Robert was explaining it differently, I did not tell him I was already aware of this easy progression of chords. Wanting something more of a challenge, I looked on YouTube for other beginning blues progressions and found this - As the pretty lady said, how hard can it be if her 11 year old daughter could learn it in an hour.

YouTube is becoming my favorite guitar teacher - there are so many generous guitarists who don't mind sharing their hard won knowledge through video lessons. Along with House of the Rising Sun and Hotel California, I am now learning Dead Man by Neil Young, the opening riff to Day Tripper by the Beatles, and Good Riddance/Time of Your Life by Green Day - lots of fun, and it helps me learn various chord transitions.

Before yesterday's lesson I got an email from a guy about an ad on Craig's List I posted. He wanted to buy some of my used golf balls, and asked if I could stop by his office. I was kind of put off about having to travel to him, but he was the first person who responded to my ad after a week, so I decided why not.

When I arrived at his office I discovered that he owned a used car lot. As I was getting out of the car after picking up a bucket of spilled balls in the back seat, a man in his 60's approached and asked if I had any minivans I could sell to him. I told him I was not an employee of the lot, so we both walked over to the office. I took a seat and told the man behind the desk, Marty, that I would wait for him to finish talking with the other guy, Dennis.

40 minutes later I left his office. The first 5 minutes of the time in the office was spent listening to the two talk cars, but then the 3 of us became involved in a discussion straight out of a David Mamet play/film - Marty and Dennis both weaved interesting tales of women, travel, college co-ed modelling gigs, and how to go broke numerous times and live to tell about it.

Had I been in a hurry I doubt the conversation would have taken place, but since I was once again in a meditative state, flowing calmly with the passing moments, I was rewarded with an unusual experience.

As I drove off the lot, $20 richer from having made a sale to the ultimate salesman, I marveled at how odd the passing days are becoming.