Sunday, March 21, 2010

Easy Day

My fingers needed rest so I planned on taking a day off from guitar, but when the evening arrived I could not resist picking up the guitar, so I ended up with a light practice of 75 minutes.

I worked on a few scales. When I got to the A minor blues scale I decided to work on stretching the fingers, so on the B and high E strings I spaced out 5 frets instead of 4. After a few minutes of this I was able to get my #3 finger stretched 5 frets from the index, which meant I could reach the 6th fret with the pinkie. When I went back to the normal 4 fret spacing the fingers were relaxed and moving fluidly. I will have to remember to incorporate extra fret spacings in my scale work.

I then worked on the arpeggio to House of the Rising Sun. After 30 minutes I began to hear the voice of the song ringing through the strings, especially in the middle D and G strings. It sounded good, and made me forget myself - I played with total concentration so that I could hear the singing - it was beautiful.