Sunday, March 28, 2010

Ring Finger Blues

I had a good weekend of practice. I was feeling lazy/uninspired to learn anything new, so I instead went the opposite direction and simplified things to a few notes and chords. Repeating the finger movements over and over is like running long distance, it puts me into a zone of calm and relaxation. Some people find this type of practice to be dull, but one of the things that will help in my guitar quest is the ability to find interest in simple practice methods.

About a month ago I subscribed to Claude's email guitar lessons. I found them to be helpful, and I like his passion, so I decided to join his guitar website GuitarGod Club for $1 for the first month. If I find it helpful I then pay the normal rate of $20 month. I am mainly interested in his guitar scale software which helps the beginner master all the notes of the fretboard. A good feature is the backing tracks which can be played while practicing the scales.

About an hour ago I was reaching up to grab Thomas Wolfe's Look Homeward Angel, and as I was doing so the ring finger of my fretting hand slammed into the edge of the fireplace mantel. I immediately knew it was serious as I felt a swollen warmth engulf the upper joint. I applied 2 bags of frozen peas to it, and have since been icing it off and on.

The last time I jammed a finger was in the 7th grade when playing volleyball in gym class. I find it ironic that I did not have an important use for my ring finger until a few months ago. Well, I will hope for the best. I don't have health insurance, so going to a doctor is out of the question. I will continue to ice it and also apply massage therapy.

If I can't fret the guitar, I can still practice picking with the right hand, and also study music theory. I am hoping to get back to normal in a day or two.